Ok, so it has been a running joke with Thayne and I that he won't buy me any plantable flowers because he thinks I will kill them...sad, I know, but so far he's right. Every flower that I have received - usually at church on Mother's Day - has, in fact, died. Well, it's not like I try to kill them. I love flowers and would love to see hundreds out in our yard...
So this is my plan. Last week I went out and bought myself, Evelyn, and Samuel each a flower plant. We took it home and planted it. If I can get it to stay alive, maybe I can get some more!
The kids love to help me water the flowers and are constantly peeking out the window to check on them. Last week we even had a backyard visitor - a bunny - we don't know whose it is but he kept coming into our yard. Anyway, Thayne told us that bunnies would eat flowers, so the kids were all worried about our flowers so I put them up on our patio table.
The pictures at the top of the post are from yesterday - last night in fact. They were beautiful... Take a look at them now!
AHHHHHHHH! I'm cursed! I'm not sure what happened. I checked the moisture levels yesterday and today and they are right where they should be. My best guess is that it got too cold last night. Anyone who has kept any plant alive for more than 2 weeks - tell me your secret(s)!







2 comments:
Don't worry, I have the same luck with plants. A few years ago I asked the plant people at the store what a good plant would be that requires almost no maintenance. They said an aloe vera plant would be a good one. So, I bought it. A few months later we left home for a few days. We came home to find our aloe vera plant had died and was infested with some kind of fungus...I guess I watered to much...dang it!
Probably you've heard elsewhere or something by now, but my $.02 worth on getting plants from inside to outside... The main idea here is to transition the plants slowly by taking them outside for a bit more time every day to get them used to a little exposure and then bring them back in. The plants will start getting the hint and adapt, similar to when it gets colder in fall and plants adapt for the colder season, etc. Except here, the plants are adapting from a constant temperature in your home to a variable temperature cycle by going in and out all the time, etc. Should be able to go from an hour to overnight within a couple weeks, within reason (don't try the overnight thing when there's still frost or whatever).
Ben
Post a Comment