Sunday, August 9, 2009

Naptime Adventures with Grandma

So earlier this week, I went up to my room to feed Anna after the boys were 'in bed.' I heard some noise, so I took a break to go investigate and when I flung open the boys' bedroom door, I hit grandma (sorry Grandma), who was lying on the floor of the boys' room 'helping' them go to sleep. Feeling the situation was under control I went back to feeding Anna.


When Anna and I were done, we came downstairs to find out Grandma was still in the boys room! After about an hour and a half (from when she went upstairs) she came down. We thought she had taken a nap too - here's what really happened (in Grandma's own words):

I thought that if I closed my eyes, the boys would follow suit. I closed them tight and ignored their calls to me so that they would think I was truly asleep. After several attempts at trying to get a response out of me, Samuel declared to Hyrum that I was dead! Hyrum got out of bed, stood right over me and repeated "Dead??" after him. I erupted with laughter, so that ploy was over - it was sooo cute!

Next, I tried bargaining with them, saying that I would hold their favorite "lovies" until they woke up if they didn't settle down. Samuel decided he would settle down and keep his lovie, but when I told Hyrum he lost his favorite lovie (Lion), he replied: "here!" and freely gave it up. I put lion beside me and laid back down. Next thing i knew, Hyrum gave me his bear. Then he asked me if I wanted his horsey too! So much for bargaining! I think Hyrum won that round, hands down.

I was running out of ideas. Samuel had fallen asleep, but Hyrum was still fighting it. He kept saying it was time to get up, and I kept telling him that he needed to lie down and close his eyes. Finally he laid down and closed his eyes. I thought that he had given up, but not Hyrum! He was down for about 2 seconds, sat back up and said "I'm done!" "Time to get up!" Obviously he had complied with all the terms I had laid out for him.

I decided not to nap with them the next day . . . .

1 comment:

Sarah and Mike Stancliffe said...

That is funny! I'm not sure what it is about being a grandma...but my mom tried to get my kids to fall asleep while we were on vacation by staying in the room with them...she just ended up being trapped for like 4 hours in their room. And when she left Kaitlyn was still awake. I'm impressed Samuel took a nap. How is the new baby? You should post more pics!!! BTW I love that picture of your kids on that tree, it's one of my favorites.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers