I tried to get the kids to look for the books, but really they were not interested in finding them at all, EVEN when I bribed them... sad.
Knowing they were due in just 3 days, and that they could be ANYWHERE, I began cleaning and searching. Even when I wasn't searching, it was all I could think about: "Where are those books..." "What haven't I looked under..." etc.
We have only lost one book in our library history, but perhaps the memory of that experience is what makes me want to never lose another book. Of all books to have to pay for why couldn't it be one of the ones that we read 100 times and absolutely LoVe?? (and we did eventually find it, so now we own it...) Oh no, it was a Dora the Explorer book - "I Love My Papi." - I don't even think we had read that book before we lost it... and we had to pay a restocking fee that was MORE than the cost of the book... which I guess is a blessing that it wasn't some rare hardback book... just a cheap paperback one...
Anyway, as I was rummaging around the house, I caught a glimmer of something that was 'off' by the fireplace. Nothing stood out, but something was different. Can you find the books?
Here's a closer look...
As I went in for a closer look and lo and behold, the library books had gotten shoved into a small crack in the fireplace, and the only reason I could see it was because the books were tall enough to just barely show through the grill.
These books were masterfully planted there because they cannot just go straight down. There is that overhanging grill that goes out about 1/2 inch from this crack... It must have been Anna. She does love the fireplace.
With tweezers in each hand, I was able to get them both out (and that same day they were returned to the library - not even a late fee!!) Maybe someday I'll get to see HOW exactly 2 books got put in that peculiar spot... But for now, I am just grateful that the books were found - especially before the due date!!
P.S. - When we went to the library to return the books, I vowed to not bring too many home... we ended up with 29 - AHH!!







1 comment:
I am ALWAYS paying late fees. So bad. If you told me it would cost me $10 a year to check books out of the library I wouldn't do it, but that's about how much I pay. Good for you! I always promise to be more responsible, and I really mean it!
Post a Comment