Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Worm, The Crickets, & The Roach

As I was reading my older brother, Michael's, blog, there was a post about bull frogs and a picture with him and his kids holding the biggest bull frog you ever saw! It instantly made me think of how squeamish I am around so many creatures.

We found a worm in our house the other day (Yes. A worm in the house) and as I tried to scoot it onto one piece of paper - using another piece of paper - the worm flung onto my hand - I SCREAMED. Pathetic, I know.

You want another bug story?? Alright... One night while I was out shopping with Anna, she got hungry, so I parked the car in the Kroger parking lot and fed her before going in. I was horrified by what I could see from the safety of my car. HUNDREDS of crickets leaping everywhere. As I sat in the car trying to plan the safest route for me to walk into the store I watched how others reacted to the infestation of crickets - - NOT ONE of the people jumped, squealed, or even did a dance as they walked across the parking lot - undoubtedly squishing crickets beneath their feet. In fact I don't think anyone EXCEPT me noticed there were bugs everywhere.


As I got out of the car and started walking toward the store, I couldn't look at my feet because if I saw what was touching or about to touch them I may have had a heart attack. IT WAS DISGUSTING! I was so focused on trying to dodge the crickets that I wasn't even looking for moving vehicles. I know a car would inflict greater physical damage, but I'm telling you the psychological damage of those crickets was unreal!!

It didn't help that on a previous encounter (at the same store) I was walking toward the store, talking to friend, and heard a strange noise, 2 seconds later when I realized that I had stepped on and killed a cricket, I jumped, squealed, and did an awesome dance!

...At least I haven't seen any roaches in our house yet. I can only imagine my reaction to such a sighting :) Hmm. That reminds me of when we went to New Orleans for Christy's graduation. Have time for one more story? So we were all in the family room watching a movie. My mom was ironing on the table. Suddenly she screamed. Without even thinking, I JUMP out of my chair, dodge the other chairs in my way and get as far away from my mom as I can. Why did she scream?? She had stepped on a roach - one of the BIG ones. EWWWWWWWWWW. Thayne's comment to me: "I've never seen you move so fast!" (remember at the time I was 7 months pregnant). Talk about your Fight or Flight Adrenaline Rush - - Don't worry, I didn't go into labor that night ;)

LOL. Sometimes I am such a girl. :)

2 comments:

Team Bracken said...

Ok so when I read the title, I was already starting to do a dance as well as leaning away from the computer over the pictures (think they'll get me?). I have not been as fortunate as you in having people NOT see me do silly dances to avoid the crickets! EW! 'nuff said!

Angela said...

I had nightmares after moving here and we found a few of the big huge roaches in our house. Even though it's been over a year since a sighting, I still do nightly searches in the middle of the night! I seriously had to start praying they would stay away in addition to all of the pesticides we used. They are so disturbing to me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers