Thursday, February 3, 2011

SNOWED IN...

So to most of my readers this post will be tame compared to what you may be going through, but I am still going to whine about our current weather trend!


The weekend was beautiful, with temperatures in the 60s. Then Monday came and turned our world upside down! We got rain/ice/snow on Monday night - maybe an inch... nothing HUGE, just enough to cover the ground. But because of the snow, school was cancelled on Tuesday - a miracle - because they didn't cancel school at all last year for snow or dangerous road conditions...

Tuesday didn't get warm enough to melt all of the snow, so we ended up with ice covering our roads and sidewalks.


Now I know this may shock those who don't live in the south - cancelling school for such little snow?? The city has no equipment to clear the roads here. There are some ruts that are better to drive on, but on any given road you have ruts for a bit, and then sheets of ice that cover the entire road! I'll be driving and thinking: "this isn't so bad" and at that moment, I get humbled as I look at the ice field I'm about to drive through!! They put some sand down in some select places, but in my driving today, I only saw it in one parking lot - not on any roads!

When I was done running errands today, I pulled into our driveway, with the intent of parking in our garage, but because of the ice, my wheels just turned and turned. I was stuck. I didn't dare gas it, our suburban barely fits into our single-car sized garage and I didn't want to gas it, slide on the ice, and hit our house! UGH, I had to park outside :(


But I digress, to add to our ice problem, we have been below freezing since Tuesday night - with temperatures at a 20-year low!!

Since we have been so cold, no ice has not really had a chance to melt. So Wednesday and Thursday school was also cancelled.

Hold on to your boots... Tomorrow we are supposed to get more snow! AH! And yes, school is cancelled!! 4 SNOW DAYS!

A bit of warmth on Saturday will hopefully melt this ice/snow. But our forecast for next week shows snow on Monday & Wednesday!! AHH!! Sweet, WARM, relief will just in time for Evelyn's birthday!

Don't hold your breath on that forecast promise though, the weather here changes in the blink of an eye!

3 comments:

S said...

Snow days are the best! Too bad they don't have those for work, too!

Clark Family said...

Yeah, I forgot to mention Thayne had to go to work everyday!! Except Friday (he gets this Friday off)! Lucky for us, he's not so nervous in this kind of weather - must help that he grew up in a cold place!

eedwards said...

Brrrr. I have been following the stories about this storm. Crazy weather!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Countdown

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers